Create a Coupon in WooCommerce
Coupons are a great way to offer discounts to your customers! It’s super easy to create a coupon in WooCommerce. NB: Coupons recently moved from the WooCommerce section, to the Marketing section.
- From your WordPress Dashboard, select Marketing > Coupons in the left sidebar
- Click the Add coupon button
- Enter your Coupon code – this is what the customer will enter at checkout (NB: coupons are NOT case sensitive). Alternatively, you can click the Generate coupon code button to auto-create a code.
- You can enter a description if you want, this is only for internal use, eg, 10% off storewide, 1 coupon per customer etc
In the Coupon data > General section:
- Select your Discount type
- Percentage discount: A percentage discount for selected products only. For example, if the cart contains three (3) t-shirts @ $20 each = $60, a coupon for 10% off applies a discount of $6.
- Fixed cart discount: A fixed total discount for the entire cart. For example, if the cart contains three (3) t-shirts @ $20 each = $60, a coupon for $10 off gives a discount of $10.
- Fixed product discount: A fixed total discount for selected products only. Customer receives a set amount of discount per item. For example, three (3) t-shirts @ $20 each with a coupon for $10 off applies a discount of $30.
- Enter your Coupon amount: this will be a percentage or a dollar amount depending on which Discount type you’ve selected
- If you want to allow free shipping, check the Allow free shipping box. NB: see note about enabling a free shipping method
- Set the Coupon expiry date. NB: coupons expire at 00:00 on the date entered, eg, if you set the expiry date to 20 July 2021, it will expire at the very start of 20 July 2021, and will no longer be valid during that day and beyond.
- Select your Discount type
In the Coupon data > Usage restriction section:
- Set your Minimum spend and Maximum spend if required
- Check Individual use only if the coupon can’t be used with other coupons
- Check Exclude sale items if the coupon can’t be used on sale items
- You can include or exclude certain products and/or categories by adding them to the Products, Exclude products, Product categories, and Exclude categories fields. Leave these fields blank to apply the coupon to your entire shop.
- If you want to restrict the coupon to certain emails, enter those in the Allowed emails field
In the Coupon data > Usage limits section:
- Set Usage limit per coupon eg, to limit the coupon to the first 100 customers, enter 100 in this field
- Set Limit usage to X items if you want to limit the coupon to a certain number of items, eg, if you set this to 5 and the customer adds 6 items to their cart, the coupon will only apply to the first 5 items. Leave blank to apply coupon to whole shop.
- Set Usage limit per user if you want to limit the coupon for individual customers, eg, if you set this to 1, the customer can only use the coupon once.
- Click Publish to save your coupon
IMPORTANT: TEST YOUR COUPON prior to advertising it! Visit your shop, add some products (include products that have been excluded, add more products that your limit, add sale items etc) then enter your new coupon at checkout.