How to install a font
You’ve downloaded a new font, or your designer has sent you some font files, how do you install those on your computer? Individual font files usually have .ttf or .otf file extensions, but sometimes fonts will be included in a .zip file.
The first step, whether you are on a Mac or a PC, is to save the font file to your computer. It doesn’t really matter where, but I recommend saving it alongside your logo and other brand material. If it’s within a zip file, unzip it first, then follow the instructions below.
On a Mac
- Double-click the font file in Finder
- This will open the Font Book app and show you a preview of the font:
- Click the Install Font button (bottom right) to install the font
On a PC
- Double-click the font file in Windows File Explorer (formerly File Manager)
- This will open the Font Previewer window and show you a preview of the font:
- Click the Install button (top left) to install the font
Open your favourite program and select the font from the list.