Add a new user to your WordPress site
At some point you may want to add a new user to your WordPress site. Maybe you’ve got a new web person (hey, that could be me!), or maybe you have a contributing author on your blog, whatever the reason, it’s super easy to add a new user!
- Login to your WordPress site
- Click on Users > Add New
- At minimum, you’ll need to enter a Username and an Email address, and you can choose to fill in the rest of the info if you like
- WordPress will generate a good, strong password for your new user, you may want to copy it and save it somewhere safe (the user will be able to reset their own password in any case)
- Ensure the Send the new user an email about their account. box is checked
- Select the required Role for your new user (NB: If it’s me you’re adding, please select Administrator!)
- Click Add New User
Here is a basic overview of the different user roles and the permissions associated with each one:
- Subscribers can read comments/comment/receive newsletters, etc. but cannot create regular site content.
- Contributors can write and manage their posts but not publish posts or upload media files.
- Authors can publish and manage their own posts, and are able to upload files.
- Editors can publish posts, manage posts as well as manage other people’s posts, etc.
- Administrators have access to all the administration features.